DAD.info
Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
My daugher turned 1...

Notifications
Clear all

My daugher turned 16 in may 2024, Hasnt been in education since 2019 and i, still asked to pay CMS

(@mw1977)
New Member Registered

My daughter turned 16 this year, and i have payed the mother directly until Aug this year. My daughter stopped going to school in 2019 just before covid hit as she "didnt like the school". The mother tried to get her into other schools but they were either full or my daughter didnt like it. In January we both received a fine for not being in eduaction! the mother was then told (by the school she was meant to be at) to home educate to stop the fines. The mother has no idea how to teach and according to my daughter, she hasnt been taught anything. so now has no GCSE's. Because I stopped paying in Aug the mother has now made a claim for CMS. From what I can see no one does checks on home education so she can carry on fraudulently claiming benefits. my daughter receiving education isnt happening and my daughter is missing out on an education. Does  any one please have some advise? 

If she is being educated im happy to pay, but the mother just likes to get money for nothing and used to earn more than me just through benefits before her other 4 kids turned 16 before my daughter was born!

Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2024 3:12 pm
(@bill337)
Illustrious Member

hi,

info: The council can make an ‘informal enquiry’ to check your child is getting a suitable education at home. They can serve a school attendance order if they think your child needs to be taught at school.

https://www.gov.uk/home-education

so perhaps if you can get in touch with someone from your  local council.

from what I read, Child benefit can still be paid to home schooled children:

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19#:~:text=Welsh%20(Cymraeg).-,Approved%20education,traineeships%20in%20England

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 3:19 pm
MW1977 reacted
(@mw1977)
New Member Registered

@bill337 apparently the council only seem to check on those under 16 who should be in education. "elected home education" no one wants to know. So the mother keeps getting benefits and no one cares about that

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/09/2024 4:13 pm
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest